Remote Argument Survey Highlights Positives and Negatives of Streaming During Pandemic

Timothy Kowal, Esq.
December 3, 2020

Remote Appellate Arguments Could Be Here to Stay
According to a survey conducted by the clerk of the Ninth Circuit, an overwhelming 86% of lawyers who have given oral arguments remotely thought the level of engagement with the judges was the same or better than in-person proceedings.

A lower percentage, though still a majority, rated the experience to be overall positive, with 62% rating the experience similar to or even better than in-person proceedings. The remaining 38% rated it worse.

Nonetheless, most attorneys were reluctant to support future remote arguments unless in the case of a pandemic or where opposing counsel was also appearing remotely. Only 13% would appear remotely again without those conditions.

The survey was reported here:

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.